Proposed Redevelopment of the Cook House
(3160 Albert St)
Your Voice Counts!
To ensure that your opinion is considered in this important matter, please complete the City of Regina Proposed Development Comment Form using File # 20202128 .
Background and Context
The Planning & Development Services Department of the City Planning & Community Development Division has received the below application under the Contract Zone, Street Closure, and Subdivision (consolidation) procedures. This application for the Cook House is a request to amend the Heritage Designation Bylaw (2019-7) is also being reviewed by the City’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Branch.
The applicant proposes to redevelop the property at 3160 Albert Street to accommodate multi-family land uses. The property, also known as the “Cook Residence,” was designated as a Heritage Property on October 29, 2019 (Bylaw No. 2019-7). An amendment to this bylaw is required for the project to proceed. Subsequent alterations, such as repairs, demolitions, or additions to the building may be considered through a Heritage Alteration Permit. Any changes to the property must be consistent with the Heritage Designation Bylaw and the Standards and Guidelines for Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. Key features of the proposed development are as follows:
- Portions of the existing building would be retained, which includes the front of the building facing Albert Street including the front facing gable, and roof structure, chimneys, and all façade elements. This portion of the building would be relocated on the site to allow for construction of the new foundation and underground garage, and then placed on a new foundation to align with the front setback of the property to the north. The remainder of the existing building would be demolished. (The existing roof structure is shown as being shingled on the attached plan number 2.2; the new roof structure for the addition is shown as being striped.)
- New additions to the building would include development to the rear and the south side of the retained heritage structure. Development behind the heritage front would be two storeys in height and consist of four residential units to be accessed from the original entry. Development to the south of the heritage structure would be three storeys and consist of 12 residential units to be accessed from three separate common entries from grade.
- Thirty-four (34) parking stalls are proposed to be accommodated on-site. Twenty-four (24) stalls would be accommodated below grade with an access from the rear alley. Ten (10) stalls would be accessed at surface grade directly from the lane.
This application would remove certain references in the Bylaw that conflict with the proposed redevelopment. Most significantly, references to the sunroom as a heritage defining feature would be removed. References to the “concrete foundation” and “glass bottle bottoms” within the Bylaw are also proposed for removal. City Council’s approval is required to amend the Heritage Designation Bylaw.
A copy of the architectural rendering is attached below.
For 90 years, the Cook Residence has showcased the remarkable architecture of Van Egmond and Storey and the work of their highly skilled craftsmen. It has been home to several community leaders who helped to shape our city. It continues to exemplify the grandeur of the streetscape developed by McCallum, Hill and Co. and is the impressive south entry to the Albert Street corridor leading to the Legislative Building and bordering its spacious grounds.
Erasing its legacy by grossly altering the protected character defining elements of this home severely undermines over a century of effort from hardworking citizens and community-minded visionaries who believed that the city of Regina could be so much more than just a collection of buildings and roadways.
Heritage Regina would like you to add your voice to this discussion on September 16th at 7:00pm.
Your voice counts.
President, Heritage Regina
Heritage Regina and Cathedral Area Community Association response to the application for removal of the Bagshaw Residence
At its August 26th meeting, City Council voted unanimously to deny the demolition application for 56 Angus Crescent and to begin the heritage designation process for the property.
Heritage Regina would like to thank the Cathedral Area Community Association’s Trish Elliott (CACA Planning Advisory Committee) and Brad Olson (CACA President), and long-time Crescents residents Jeannie Mah and Edward Jones for their time and commitment to protecting and preserving this important heritage property.
The City of Regina has received an application for removal of a residential property located in the Crescents at 56 Angus Crescent from the Heritage Inventory with a demolition permit requested.
Based on the city’s evaluation, it was determined the property be removed from the heritage inventory which would make way for a demolition request to be approved.
For your information, below are links to the letters of response from Heritage Regina, the Cathedral Community Association and the Provincial Heritage Branch of the Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport along with the supporting documentation from the City of Regina.
This item will be up for approval at the next meeting of the City of Regina Planning Commission meeting held on August 13th at 4:00pm.
This article was originally published by the Regina Leader-Post on March 20, 2020. It is reprinted here with permission.
By Dale Edward Johnson
At first, people in Saskatchewan showed little interest or concern about reports of a new flu in other parts of the world.
The first cases were reported in Canada in July 1918, and it would be a few more months before cases were reported in Saskatchewan. As health authorities scrambled to try to reduce the number of people stricken, owners of automobiles in Regina were asked to help out. And they did.
As the summer of 1918 turned to autumn, there were more newspaper reports of the Spanish flu in cities in the eastern U.S. and Canada.
For example, on Oct.1, 1918, Regina’s Morning Leader newspaper reported there were 460 new cases in Philadelphia in the previous 48 hours, bringing the city’s total to 2,327 cases and 14 deaths.
By Oct. 3, the Leader reported that the Spanish flu was “rapidly spreading over (the) United States” and was in 43 of the 48 states.
Year 2 students at the Saskatchewan Urban Native Teacher Education Program (SUNTEP) worked with Kristen Catherwood from Heritage Regina to research and publish gee meeyo pimawtshinawnm ( It was a Good Life) – A Living Heritage Project. Read more
It was the end of the line for SaskPower’s Substation No. 2 on the 1900 block of Elphinstone Street. Built in 1930 by the Regina Light and Power Company, the substation made it possible to extend power services to developing neighbourhoods. The building was designed to fit in with its residential environment, a practice that was often used at the time. Read more
One of our Summer Walking Tour guides, Dale Edward Johnson, was recently interviewed on the CBC radio program “Saskatchewan Weekend.” During the 10-minute interview, Johnson chatted with program host Shauna Powers about some of the car dealerships that operated in Regina’s downtown over the years. The interview aired on August 10, 2019 and may be heard at https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-205-saskatchewan-weekend/clip/15731101-an-historic-walking-tour-of-downtown-regina-car-dealerships. (Note: At the link, if a “Welcome” pop-up menu appears, scroll to the bottom of the menu and click Continue. This will take you to the audio recording of the interview.)
A companion article to the interview (with photos) may be found at https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/taking-a-walk-down-regina-s-car-dealership-lane-1.5243038.
In the coming months, the Provincial Archives will be consolidating its Permanent Collection—currently housed in Regina and Saskatoon—at its new location in the CBC building, 2440 Broad Street, Regina.
For updates on this major undertaking, be sure to check the News and Events page at the Provincial Archives website.